Last Updated: June 24, 2015
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the "Shine The Light" law, permits our customers who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, information about the personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of personal information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with which we shared information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to:
Clipper Magazine, LLC Law Department
19975 Victor Parkway
Livonia, MI 48152
How We Collect and Use Information
We may collect and store information, including personally identifiable information (such as your name, postal address or email address) or other information that you voluntarily supply to us while on our Site. Some examples of this type of information include information that you electronically submit when you contact us with questions, information that you post on discussion forums or other community posting and social networking areas on our Site, and information that you electronically submit when you complete an online registration form to access and use certain features of our Site. We also may ask for information (including a credit card number and other financial information) from those users who make purchases or have payment transactions on our Site. If you decline to supply or provide us with certain information while using the Site, you may not be able to use or participate in some or all of the features offered through the Site.
We also collect and store non-personally identifiable information that is generated automatically as you navigate through the Site. For example, we may collect information about your computer’s connection to the Internet, which allows us, among other things, to improve the delivery of our web pages to you and to measure traffic on the Site. We also may use a standard feature found in browser software called a "cookie" to enhance your experience with the Site. Cookies are small files that your web browser places on your hard drive for record-keeping purposes. By showing how and when visitors use the Site, cookies help us deliver advertisements, identify how many unique users visit us, and track user trends and patterns. They also prevent you from having to re-enter your preferences on certain areas of the Site where you may have entered preference information before. This Site also may use web beacons (single-pixel graphic files also known as "transparent GIFs") to access cookies and to count users who visit the Site or open HTML-formatted email messages.
If you want to limit the non-personally identifiable information that is automatically collected while you use our Site, most Web browsers allow you to disable cookies. To disable cookies using Internet Explorer, select "Internet Options" under the Tools menu and click on "Privacy." Select "High" or "Block All Cookies." To disable cookies using Mozilla Firefox, select "Options" under the "Tools" menu. If you choose to disable cookies, you may not be able to use or participate in some or all of the features offered through the Site.
The information we collect may be collected directly by us, or it may be collected by a third-party website hosting provider, or another third-party service provider, on our behalf.
We use the information we collect from you while you are using the Site in a variety of ways, including, for example, to process your registration request, provide you with services and communications that you have requested, send you email updates and other communications, customize features and advertising that appear on the Site, deliver our Site content to you, measure Site traffic, measure user interests and traffic patterns, and improve the Site and the services and features offered via the Site.
In addition, we may use any information submitted by or collected from you via the Site for any purpose related to the Site, including to contact you for customer service purposes, to inform you of important changes or additions to our Site or the services offered over our Site, and to send you administrative notices and any other communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
We also may provide your information to our affiliates or to third parties, including our third-party service providers and contractors, for purposes related to Site administration and other services. For example, if you use a credit or debit card to complete a transaction on our Site, we may share your personal information and credit card number with a credit card processing and/or a fulfillment company in order to complete your transaction, or such service provider(s) may collect that information from you directly, on our behalf.
For information about use of your information by us and by third-party advertising service providers for advertising, see the section "Data Collected in Connection with Ad Serving and Targeting."
Please be aware that we may occasionally release information about our visitors if required to do so by law or if, in our business judgment, such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (a) to comply with legal process; (b) to enforce our Terms of Service; or (c) to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of our Site, us, our affiliates, our officers, directors, employees, representatives, our licensors, other users, and/or the public.
Please also note that as our business grows, we may buy or sell various assets. In the unlikely event that we sell some or all of our assets, or our Site is acquired by another company, information about our Site users may be among the transferred assets.
Data Collected in Connection with Ad Serving and Targeting
We also may use third-party service providers to target and serve some of the advertisements you see on the pages of our Site, and these providers likewise may use their own cookies, web beacons and similar technologies to collect non-personally identifiable information from our Site. These service providers may use that information, sometimes in conjunction with similar non-personally identifiable information gathered through other websites, to deliver advertisements on this Site, and on other websites that participate in our service providers' advertising networks, that are tailored to match the perceived interests of consumers. This information also may be used to help measure and research an advertisement's effectiveness, or for other purposes.
The data collected in connection with the ad serving and ad targeting on our Site does not identify you personally and does not include your name, address, email address or telephone number, but it may include the IP address of your computer.
Information You Post to Discussion Forums and Other Community Posting or Social Networking Areas of the Site
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily make your personal information or other private information available for viewing by third parties online - for example, posting a comment or review on discussion forums or any community posting or social networking area of our Site - that information can be seen, collected and used by others besides us. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
Children's Privacy Statement
This Children's Privacy Statement explains our practices with respect to the online collection and use of personal information from children under the age of 13, and provides important information regarding their rights under federal law with respect to such information.
- This Site is not directed to children under the age of 13 and we do NOT knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 as part of the Site. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of 13 as part of the Site, we will delete such information from our records.
- Because we do not collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 via the Site, we also do NOT knowingly distribute such information to third parties.
- We do NOT knowingly allow children under the age of 13 to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable contact information through the Site.
- Because we do not collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 via the Site, we do NOT condition the participation of a child under 13 in the Site's online activities on providing personally identifiable information.
How To Make Changes to Your Information
If you are a registered member of our Site, you can make changes to your account information by logging in to the Site and using the account tools available via the Site. If you have any questions about modifying your account or preference information, please visit the "Customer Service" pages of our Site.
Storage of Information
All information we gather on our Site is stored within a database to which only we and our hosting services provider are provided access. However, as effective as the reasonable security measures implemented by us may be, no physical or electronic security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our Site's servers or databases, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
Questions Regarding Privacy
Clipper Magazine, LLC Law Department
19975 Victor Parkway
Livonia, MI 48152
Last Updated: January 23, 2015
This Site may include a variety of features, such as discussion forums, blogs, photo and video sharing pages, personalized home pages, email services and social networking features, which allow users to interact with each other and third parties on the Site and to post content and materials for display on the Site.
Responsibility for what is posted on the Site or sent via any e-mail services that are made available via the Site, lies with each user – you alone are responsible for the material you post or send. We do not control the messages, information or files that you or others may transmit, post or otherwise provide on or through the Site.
We invite you to submit your original videos, photos and comments. In order to keep these interactive forums enjoyable and interesting for all of our users, we ask that you follow the rules outlined below.
As we are alerted to them, we reserve the right at all times, but do not assume the obligation, to remove comments including, but not limited, to the following types of specific information or language:
- Potentially libelous statements. In general terms, that means a comment that states or implies a false fact that harms a person's reputation (as opposed to expressing an opinion);
- Sexually explicit or crude sexual comments;
- Threatening statements or statements that suggests violent acts;
- Crude comments about a child;
- Swearing or obscenity;
- Derogatory phrases to define a group of people;
- Nasty name-calling. If the number of unacceptable comments on a story gets out of control, we may turn off commenting on that item.
As long as they don't include the kind of comments described above:
- We will allow opinions that some may find offensive about tough social issues around race and sexual orientation.
- We will allow criticism of public figures.
- We will allow criticism of people who are subjects of stories.
- We will allow conversation that is simply strident in tone.
In addition, by accessing and using any feature on this Site, you represent and agree that you:
- Will not restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Site;
- Will not use the Site to impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Will not interfere with or disrupt any servers or networks used to provide the Site or its features, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of the networks we use to provide the Site;
- Will not use the Site to instigate or encourage others to commit illegal activities or cause injury or property damage to any person;
- Will not gain unauthorized access to the Site, or any account, computer system, or network connected to this Site, by means such as hacking, password mining or other illicit means;
- Will not obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made available through this Site;
- Consistent with the Site’s commenting policies you will not use the Site to post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane or indecent information of any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any local, state, national or international law;
- Will not use the Site to post, transmit or in any way exploit any information, software or other material for commercial purposes, or that contains advertising;
- Will not use the Site to advertise or solicit to anyone to buy or sell products or services, or to make donations of any kind, without our express written approval;
- Will not gather for marketing purposes any email addresses or other personal information that has been posted by other users of the Site;
- Will not contact anyone who has asked not to be contacted;
- Will not use the Site to post or transmit any information, software or other material that violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material that is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the owner or rights holder;
- Will not use the Site to post or transmit any information, software or other material that contains a virus or other harmful component;
- Will not repeatedly post the same or similar content or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure;
- Take or cause to be taken any action that disrupts the normal flow of postings and dialogue on our Site (such as submitting an excessive number of messages – i.e. a flooding attack), or that otherwise negatively affects other users’ ability to use the Site and/or services;
- Will not use automated means, including spiders, robots, crawlers, data-mining tools, or the like to download data from our Site. Exception is made for Internet search engines (e.g., Google) and non-commercial public archives (e.g., archive.org) that comply with our Terms of Service. We reserve the right to deny access to the Site or any features of the Site to anyone who violates these Community Rules or who, in our sole judgment, interferes with the ability of others to enjoy our website or infringes upon the rights of others.
All users of this Site are reminded that as set forth in the “Responsibility for User-Provided Content” section of these Terms of Service we may preserve content and materials submitted by you, and may also disclose such content and materials if required to do so by law or if, in our business judgment, such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce these Terms of Service; (c) respond to claims that any content or materials submitted by you violate the rights of third parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of our Site, us, our affiliates, our officers, directors, employees, representatives, our licensors, other users, and/or the public.